21 September 2018
LET THE KIDS RUN WILDby PORT CAMPBELL VISITOR INFORMATION CENTRE
Now, where we come from, getting in touch with your family online means taking them fishing. If you'd fancy some wild nature and quality time with the family this weekend look no further than the 12 Apostles Coast and Hinterland region on Victoria's Great Ocean Road.
We all know those big rocks down near Port Campbell on Victoria's Great Ocean Road, but when was the last time you visited the 12 Apostles. When was the last time you were totally gob-smacked, flat on the floor, inspired by nature?
With accessible trails and lookouts for little legs, plenty of accommodation options, a tasty gourmet trail and a free family focused activity program, this region has your autumn/winter weekends covered.
Here are some of our hints and tips for great family weekend:
- Show the kids where food really comes from on the 12 Apostles Gourmet Trail
- Pack the cards, board games and a bag of marshmallows for roasting on the fire.
- Get up early for sunrise and stay up late to see the stars (we'll even loan you some binoculars or a telescope)
- Check out the free activities and equipment hire available as part of the Craters to Coast Discovery program.
- Get the weekend off to a good start with a 5km walk at Parkrun Timboon which just happens to finish within 100m of a whisky distillery and Timboon Ice Creamery.
- Check out the wonderful Volcanic Lakes and Plains region just north of the coast.
- Call the boss, tell them you are taking some family time and make a long weekend of it!
- Pop into the Port Campbell Visitor Information Centre for information on scenic flights, treetop walks and the best places to spot wildlife and capture a sunset to remember.
Tips for the older kids
- Sure they may resist being thrown in the wild at first but let's face it they are not likely to remember the great day they had watching television in 20 years time.
- Let them bring the phones they are going to want to take some photos and some of the seascapes they see are going to blow their unblowable minds!
- Run to the first Port Campbell National Park lookout and they are likely to be too puffed to complain (after the first lookout and their uber selfie on snapchat, they are likely to stop complaining altogether.)