FOOD + ART CAN FILL A RAINY DAYby GREAT OCEAN ROAD
Winter and autumn rains in South West Victoria makes the rainforests lush, the farmlands green, the waterfalls wild and the coastal views enthralling.
When the rains are light, it's a good time for sightseeing, but if its a little on the heavy side, maybe tick off your inside attractions list.
1. Museums + Art
Our region is home to some of the many creative artists, as well as many galleries that you can visit to appreciate magnificent original pieces, or even purchase your own artwork to take home to remind you of your holiday. There are also museums that explain our maritime and surf culture history. Here's a snapshot!
- Whale Bone Gallery, Port Fairy
- Merri View Gallery, Warrnambool
- Warrnambool Art Gallery
- Bay of Whales Gallery + Cafe, Narrawong
- Eagles Nest Fine Art Gallery, Aireys Inlet
- Perfumed Views Gallery, Port Fairy
- Jan's Fine Glass, Port Fairy
- Surfcoast Images, Torquay
- Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village and Museum, Warrnambool
- Australian National Surfing Museum, Torquay
2. Taste the local beverages
With the region's eateries offering quality meals, you don't want to be rushing anyway. So, a rainy day is a great excuse to try a few dishes, graze slowly and enjoy some great conversation.
Breweries + Distilleries
- Great Ocean Road Brewhouse, Apollo Bay
- Forrest Brewing Company, Forrest
- Timboon Shed Railway Distillery, Timboon
- Great Ocean Gin, Apollo Bay,
- Apollo Bay Distillery, Apollo Bay
- Prickly Moses Brewery, Barongarook West
- Sow and Piglets Brewery, Port Campbell
The undulating lands of the region has resulted in the production of some award-winning wine varietels. Visit the cellar doors for tastings and purchase a selection for your home collection.
The Great Ocean Road region has diverse offerings when it comes to produce and there are lots of places where you can browse and buy all kinds of goodies to either enjoy on your trip, or take home for later. Use the opportunity to purchase some gifts for friends and family!
- Great Ocean Road Cheese World, Allansford
- Platypi Chocolate, Forrest
- Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie and Ice Creamery, Bellbrae
- Timboon Fine Icecream
- Forrest General Store
- The Corner Store Timboon
- Wye General Store
4. Something extra special
The 12 Apostles Gourmet Trail can be done in a day; starting and finishing at Port Campbell. There's everything from cheese to ice cream.
Over in Port Fairy, the Time and Tide Tearoom is a real hidden treasure. Not only do they serve decadent high teas and lunches, the views of the ocean are absolutely beautiful. You might even spot a whale during winter!
Tag us on Instagram!