About the listing
On the Lake Colac foreshore, the Botanic Gardens were redesigned by William Guilfoyle in 1910. The slope facing the lake was terraced to provide viewing for events such as rowing regattas, while the original caretakers cottage now houses a café. This is only one of two drive-through botanic gardens in Victoria.
Colac Botanic Gardens are a fine example of a nineteenth century provincial botanic garden, typical of such gardens created in colonial Victoria. After being set aside in 1865, the Gardens were developed in the late 1870s and enhanced in 1910 by William Guilfoyle (1840–1912), one of Australia's leading garden designers. By the time of his involvement with the Colac Gardens, Guilfoyle had already established his reputation as a garden designer with his reworking of von Mueller's layout of Melbourne’s Royal Botanic Gardens. The Gardens cover some 15 hectares and contain over 1,000 specimens including trees registered by the National Trust. There are barbecue facilities and a children's playground. The gates open for cars at 10am and close at 4pm, year-round.
Phone: 1300 689 297